Tuesday, August 14, 2012

DID ANYONE MISS ME?

     I have been a a member of the Nevada Rotary Club since June, 1979, when I accepted the position as pastor of First Baptist Church.  Over the past weeks (okay, months) I have been delinquent in attendance although I have paid my quarterly dues.  I have served on the Rotary board, served as program director, served as President of Rotary, and was honored as a Paul Harris Fellow.  This week I am going back to Rotary.  I wonder if my experience of being absent is like some who are absent from church worship and think about going back.
     AM I IMPORTANT?  I have not received one phone call from anyone telling me that I am missed.  Poor me!  When I go back will anyone recognize me?  There is an informal seating order and so will I sit in someone's spot?  Will people be glad to see me?  Will they even notice?  They are all faithful Rotarians and I have fallen from grace.  I may be sheepish.
     I HAVE MY REASONS OR EXCUSES.  Seems like my schedule has gotten the best of me!  Like last week I intended to go and I had an appointment that lasted much longer than I thought-- all the way through the noon hour.  Sometimes I have been out of town.  But to be honest there are times my reasons have been more like excuses.  I guess I usually make time for what I consider really important.
     THEY HAVE NOT ALWAYS FOLLOWED THE ROTARY BIBLE.  Years ago when I was on the Rotary Scholarship committee we had a rule that no children of Rotarians would receive scholarships for college. Somewhere along the way that changed and I have noticed children of Rotarians have received scholarships.  That seems self-serving.  It doesn't seem to meet the "service above self" test.  But that is only my interpretation.
     I DON'T LIKE CHANGE.  I have tended to be a late arriver at Rotary.  Like some people I like to sit on the back row.  They formerly served food at the entry way so I could pick up my plate and go to the back of the dog leg dining room.  They changed it!  I have to go to the back of the dog leg to get my plate and end up sitting toward the front of the worship center, I mean dining room.  I just haven't liked some of the decisions that have been made.  But does that mean they were necessarily bad decisions?
     MAYBE IF THE PRESIDENT AND PROGRAMS WERE BETTER?  Oh, wait a minute.  I have not been there recently to know about the programs.  And let's see-- July started the new Rotary year.  I don't know who the leaders are now.  But a good Rotarian does not attend for the president or the programs.  A good Rotatian affirms the purpose of Rotary:  providing humanitarian service and building goodwill and peace in the world.  I guess what is true in Rotary is also applicable in the church-- it is not about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment